Surgical Pet Services
We provide a full suite of surgical services for your pet. We know that there can be uneasy feelings about your pet going under anesthesia, but we take pride in the care that we provide and we tailor the latest in anesthetic monitoring, surgical techniques and pain management to each patient. We strive to keep you and your pet comfortable and will address any specific concerns you may have.
Pre-surgical bloodwork is required for all sick patients and all patients over five years old. It is strongly recommended for all other patients. Our routine pre-surgical bloodwork includes tests for anemia, kidney and liver disease, protein levels and sugar levels. Laboratory abnormalities will be addressed before the procedure and other tests may be recommended.
We offer nearly every surgery necessary for your pet and if needed, we can have a board certified surgeon come to our clinic to perform services we don't offer. Our surgical and dental services include:
- Neuter or spay - We commonly recommend this for puppies and kittens once they're 6 months old. We also recommend this for any adult intact animal that is not being used for breeding or show purposes. Commonly, male pets go home the same day, but female pets spend the night to provide for a comfortable recovery.
- Declaw - If you choose this surgery for your cat we recommend this at the same time as neuter or spay. We prefer to do this procedure when your cat is a kitten, but if necessary this can be done when your cat is an adult as well.
- Tendonectomy - This is an alternative to declaw for your cat. This surgery does not remove the claws, but limits its ability to scratch with the front claws. You will still need to trim the front claws regularly if you choose this surgery.
- Dew Claw Removal - This elective surgical procedure can be done at the time of neuter or spay.
- Prophylactic Gastropexy - This elective procedure can be done at the time of neuter or spay. There are very few circumstances that we would recommend this surgery and we will gladly discuss this with you prior to surgery.
- Lump Removal - We offer this procedure for diagnostic and/or quality-of-life purposes.
- Abdominal Exploratory (Laparotomy) - This procedure is offered for various reasons including: foreign body retrieval, mass removal (including splenectomy), or as a diagnostic procedure.
- We also offer a variety of other soft-tissue procedures as needed for your pet.
- General orthopedic procedures - reducing or repairing fractured bones.
- TPLO - This special procedure is offered for dogs that have damaged their cruciate ligament in their knee.
- External Cruciate Repair - An alternative option to the TPLO surgery.
- Tightrope CCL - A modified version of external capsular repair
- Luxating Patella Repair - Surgery for painful, chronic knee cap dislocation
- General Dentistry - Including prophylaxis, digital radiographs (x-rays), and extractions if necessary.
- Endodontics - Including root canals and bite plates as necessary.
- Special Procedures
- Eyelid surgery - We can correct
cherry eye (prolapse of the nictitating membrane). We also can correct other eyelid abnormalities that cause severe irritation to the eye.
- Endoscopic Procedures - This instrument can be used for retrieving gastric (stomach) foreign bodies and it can also be used for diagnostic procedures.